Wednesday, November 7, 2012

It's Spaetzle Time!

Guten Abend!

I hope everyone has been enjoying their week with Potato Pancakes! Now it's time to change things up!

Noodles are one of those food items that can be found in some shape or form all around the world. In Japan they have Soba and they have capitalized on Ramen. In Vietnam there is Pho (UW students know much about this). Of course in Italy there are hundreds of different pastas that all taste great with some kind tomato sauce! And Germany has its own special noodle too! This noodle is Spaetzle!

It is a delicious egg based noodle that is usually served with Sunday dinners. My dad grew up with Spaetzle on his Sunday dinner right next to his burnt steak that my grandfather cooked! My grandfather and grandmother were both from Bavaria and every Sunday growing up in New Jersey my father and his brothers and sister would all have to sit at the table and eat (poorly) cooked food! Auch so, my family now has special Sunday dinners that sometimes include Spaetzle!

However, I have no idea how to make it because my mom and dad were the ones who do the cooking! But! I have found a pretty good recipe that I think will meet standards in Spaetzle cooking!

The ingredients include:

14 oz of Fine Flour
1 cup of Water
3-4 eggs
1 teaspoon of salt
and some parsley

The recipe can be found at this link:  http://www.bavariankitchen.com/sides/spaetzle.aspx

I have used this recipe before and it was pretty good! Spaetzle is a noodle that can be a little heavy depending on how much butter you decide to serve it with, but it does have a fresh taste that I think most everyone would enjoy!

Now, in our German class we have been discussing different aspects of globalization and cultural integration. I don't think Spaetzle is as popular as other German foods are in America, however, lots of people can see it at a local grocery store. So it has integrated into American life. I hope people enjoy the deliciousness of Spaetzle and give a try sometime!


Looks great, right?!



Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment