Monday, November 5, 2012

What is it like being a German American? (Part 2)


Last Spring, My German Drama Class brought Goethe’s Stella to life on Stage. Victoria was casted as the main character Stella. Victoria, who is a Drama and Communications major at the University of Washington, is a German-American who has grown up in the Seattle area her whole life. Her bubbly personality compliments her amazing acting abilities. I will apply a youtube video of one of Victoria's monologues at the end of this interview. 

I asked to interview Victoria because I was curious what it was like growing up in a German Household in Seattle your whole life.  Unlike Jan (see my previous post), her only recollection of German culture is through her family life and occasional travel in Germany. 

Me: Where in Germany is your family from and why did they come to the United States?

Victoria: My family is from Schweinfurt, Germany. My mom is German, but my dad is American.  My mom came here because she married an American soldier (my dad).  My sister was born in Schweinfurt, but I was born here in Seattle.

Me: Do you speak German or English in your Household?

Victoria:  I speak both, for sure. I think mostly English though, but my family often mixes the two languages together. It’s weird because our German conversations start randomly. It’s fun knowing two other languages when you want talk about things in public and you don’t want anybody to overhear! (laughs)

Me: If you had a choice, would you live in Germany or the United States?

Victoria: Oh my god! Such a hard question! I think I would choose Germany. I love the cafes and the culture there.

Me: What would you say the difference is between living in a German-American household and a typical American household?

Victoria: The difference? I would say my mom makes me amazing food. She brough a lot of culture into our household. My mom always sang German tunes!

Me: Does your family celebrate any typical german traditions or holidays?

Victoria: We celebrated Fasching. Sometimes we have Fasching parties at my house. And of course we always celebrated St. Niklaus Tag. Then we would make lanterns from Lanternen Tag (Lantern Day).

Me: I asked Jan the same question, now it is your turn to answer: Was ist für dich Heimat?

Victoria: Hmm…well, home for me is being greeted by animals everyday. I have always grown up with dogs. Heimat for me is also eating food with my family and animals around. Spending times with my family and friends and being where I feel comfortable. Geez, what IS Heimat? That is such a difficult question.
____________________________________________

Here is a snippit of Victoria in Goethe's "Stella".  We applied a comedic and an american twist to this Romeo and Juliet tragedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment